When considering using one of our recommended Routers that also provide 4G Internet Backup in case your primary Internet link fails, below are the average use of broadband data by application.
With our recommended router/firewall, you simply subscribe to a data plan and if your primary Internet connection goes down for any reason, the router will automatically switch over to the wireless cell 4G connection.So, doing the math on a 15-minute phone call will give you a peak usage of 6kB/sec, 360kB/min, and 5.4MB/15min (1MB=1000kB). That’s absolute peak.
All other usage not withstanding, that’s [very] roughly at least 92.5 hours or 5,550 minutes of talking would use approx. 2GB.
How much data does a 4G LTE Broadband Router use?
- Email (Text Only) = 10 KB
- Typical Web Page Lookup* = 1 MB
- Audio Streaming = 51 MB/hr
- Video Streaming (Standard Def) = 500 MB/hr
- Video Streaming (High Def) = 1.68 GB/hr
- Digital Photo Download/Upload (Hi-Res) = 5 MB
- 4G VoIP = 67 MB/hr
- Ex; VoIP 4-Hours/Day x 22 Days (avg business days in a month) = 88 Hours/Month x 67MB per Hour = 6 Gig Data per Month
- Ex; VoIP 6-Hours/Day x 22 Days (avg business days in a month) = 132 Hours/Month x 67MB per Hour = 9 Gig Data per Month
- Ex; VoIP 8-Hours/Day x 30 Days = 240 Hours/Month x 67MB per Hour = 16 Gig Data per Month
- 4G VoIP with Video = 254 MB/hr
- 1 MB = 1,024 KB
- 1 GB = 1,024 MB